Think you know all of the UK's road signs? Well, we've listed some of the rarest (and therefore most misunderstood) signs presently used on the nation's road network, to test your knowledge and see if you can identify them. They're all in the Highway Code, but when was the last time you read that cover to cover?
To keep things simple and to allow you to play along, we’ll give you multiple-choice answers to pick from, with the answer under each image. Good luck - and no cheating!
1. A) Trams crossing ahead B) Overhead electric cable C) Electric powerstation nearby
Correct answer: Overhead electric cable
2. A) End of minimum speed limit B) Do not go slower than 30mph C) 30mph Minimum speed limit
Correct answer: End of minimum speed limit
3. A) No vehicles carrying explosives B) Vehicles carrying explosives use this road C) Fire hazard ahead
Correct answer: No vehicles carrying explosives
4. A) Level crossing without barrier or gate ahead B) Level crossing without barrier C) Level crossing without barrier
Correct answer: Level crossing without barrier
5. A) Ford = Forceful winds B) Ford = Flood warning C) Ford = Likely to be water crossing in the road
Correct answer: Likely to be water crossing in the road
6. A) Vehicles may pass either side to reach same destination B) Two-way traffic straight ahead C) Give priority to vehicles from opposite direction
Correct answer: Vehicles may pass either side to reach same destination
7. A) Low-flying aircraft B) Side winds C) Water alongside road ahead
Correct answer: Side winds
8. A) Traffic merging from right ahead B) T-junction with priority over vehicles from the right C) Staggered junction
Correct answer: T-junction with priority over vehicles from the right
9. A) Temporary hazard at road works B) Slippery road C) No overtaking
Correct answer: Slippery road
How many did you get correct?
By George Boulton