Order now to get your car in time for Christmas. View our delivery FAQs

skip to main contentskip to footer

Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN)

Statutory Off-Road Notification

A SORN (Statutory Off-Road Notification) is used by car owners to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) that the vehicle is registered as being off the road, so it cannot be driven – or even parked – on a public road. When a car has a SORN, no vehicle excise duty or insurance is required.

SORN is used by people who keep a car garaged while it is being fixed or renovated. It’s common for classic cars. A SORN remains in place until an owner decides to tax and insure it again, or scraps or exports the car.

Related Jargon

What is the DVLA?

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is the government agency responsible for maintaining databases of UK drivers and vehicles. It currently holds over 48m driver records and over 40m vehicle records. 

What is vehicle excise duty (VED)?

Commonly known as road tax or car tax, Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) is the annual tax that the owner of a vehicle has to pay to the government for it to be used (or parked) on public roads.

Need a hand?We're ready to help 8am-8pm, 7 days a week.

Cinch Cars Limited is an appointed representative of ITC Compliance Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (their registration number is 313486). Permitted activities include acting as a credit broker not a lender.

We can introduce you to a limited number of finance providers. We do not charge fees for our Consumer Credit services. We may receive a payment(s) or other benefits from finance providers should you decide to enter into an agreement with them, typically either a fixed fee or a fixed percentage of the amount you borrow. The payment we receive may vary between finance providers and product types. The payment received does not impact the finance rate offered.

All finance applications are subject to status, terms and conditions apply, UK residents only, 18’s or over, Guarantees may be required.

We accept all major Visa, Mastercard and American Express debit or credit cards.